[R] Another big data size problem

Federico Gherardini f.gherardini at pigrecodata.net
Wed Jul 28 20:26:24 CEST 2004

Thanks for your suggestions,

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:04:57 +0200
"Henrik Bengtsson" <hb at maths.lth.se> wrote:

> Anyway, I think you also should read the help for scan(). What do you want
> with argument 'what="PS"'? "PS" is not a valid data type; 'what' does not
> specify a name of field/column to be read.

>From the scan help page...

   what: the type of 'what' gives the type of data to be read.

It seems to me that I had read somewhere (maybe on the mailing list archives), that 'what' was supposed to be a sort of example of the kind of data you had to read... so I put a character string because I wanted the data to be read as character because I had a column of factors. I know this is not a great way to do it (better have a matrix made up of nubers only, instead of having to subsequently convert columns of character strings to number) but I wanted to do a quick test without having to rearrange my file.

Cheers,

fede