[R] where is "average shifted histogram"?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 09:59:04 CEST 2004

On 29 Jul 2004, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Eckart Bindewald <eckart_bindewald at yahoo.de> writes:
>
> > Hello!
> > In the book Modern Applied Statistics with S (4th ed),
> > section 5.6 the concept of the "average shifted
> > histogram" or ASH is mentionend. Also it is mentioned
> > in the same section "The code used is in the scripts
> > for this chapter" (from figure caption 5.8, analysis
> > of the geyser duration data).
> > *However*, I have trouble finding the code for that
> > function! Admittedly, I am a newby to R. Where exactly
> > do I find the scripts to that chapter? Commands like
> > library(MASS), or help.search("average shifted
> > histogram") did not help.
>
> The scripts are in simple files installed with the package. So you
> need to go to the install directory and read them from there. A
> canonical way of finding it from within R is
>
> .path.package("MASS")
> dir(file.path(.path.package("MASS"),scripts))
> file.show(file.path(.path.package("MASS"),"scripts","ch05.R"))
>
> That being said, I couldn't off-hand spot anything ASH-like in the
> file. This might either be a difference between the R and S versions,
> or just that the remark in the figure caption does not spefically
> relate to ASH (haven't got the book at hand just now).

It's in the MASS3 script but not the MASS4 one.  So look in

file.show(system.file("scripts3", "ch05.R", package = "MASS"))

at the top of section 5.6.  It is done by hand.  There is a simple
function to do so in package ash (on CRAN), but really you should be using
kernel methods as described in the book.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk