[R] Kudos to the R support team

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Jul 29 17:36:06 CEST 2004

May I add to Michael's comment:

1) There is no formal service; the R Core team members and other regular
contributors who do yeo-persons' service do so entirely voluntarily and at their
individual discretion..

2) The whole cultural/sociological phenomenon of R strikes me as remarkable.
Granting that S and S-Plus provided the essential framework and template, it still
strikes me as amazing that such a powerful flexible software system could be
constructed, maintained, and documented with such high quality and consistency by
such a geographically separated team, especially as they did/do it "part-time" and
voluntarily. Surely this is testimony to both their wisdom and hard work.

3). Given their efforts on our behalf, I think it behooves us to be as considerate
and solicitous as possible by first following the advice to read Help files, FAQ's
and posting guides before wasting their time with queries that do not require
their sage advice.

--

Bert Gunter

Non-Clinical Biostatistics
Genentech
MS: 240B
Phone: 650-467-7374

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning process."

 -- George E.P. Box