[R] Stumped with subsetting

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Thu Jul 29 21:40:58 CEST 2004

Seems to work fine for me if I understand correctly what you're trying to
do (there are some typos in your message, which may mean I'm not
understanding):

 > data <- data.frame(x=1:3,y=4:6,z=7:9)
 > data[c("x","y")]
   x y
1 1 4
2 2 5
3 3 6
 > mylist <- c("x","y")
 > data[mylist]
   x y
1 1 4
2 2 5
3 3 6
 > data[,mylist]
   x y
1 1 4
2 2 5
3 3 6

I'd generally use the second form of subsetting above (i.e., data[,mylist],
because that will work with matrices as well).

hope this helps,

Tony Plate