[R] optimisation procedure with flat log-likelihood

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Fri Jul 30 17:06:21 CEST 2004

Two things to try:

1. Try transforming the parameters.  It may be that one or more
parameters transformed by log or reciprocal, say, will improve the
objective function from the optimizer's viewpoint.

2. specify the gradient explicitly.  If its complicated but not
too complicated you might try a computer algebra package such as
the free one, yacas, to get the derivative.