[R] Confidence Bounds on QQ Plots?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jun 2 01:23:27 CEST 2004

Dear Spencer et al.,

The simulated envelopes in the car package are for studentized residuals
from linear models, and the original reference is indeed to Atkinson's 1985
book. I don't see why the same approach -- really a parametric bootstrap --
shouldn't be applicable more generally, though shouldn't be necessary for
independently sampled observations. Finally, the qq.plot() function in car
calculates point-wise confidence envelopes based on the standard errors of
order statistics for an independent sample from the reference distribution.

I hope that this helps,
 John