[R] "privileged slots",

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Thu Jun 3 17:40:53 CEST 2004

At Tuesday 03:44 AM 6/1/2004, Jari Oksanen wrote:
> > [snip]
>There are several other things that were fully documented and still were
>removed. One of the latest cases was print.coefmat which was abruptly
>made Defunct without warning or grace period: code written for 1.8*
>didn't work in 1.9.0 and if corrected for 1.9.0 it wouldn't work in
>pre-1.9.0. Anything can change in R without warning, and your code may
>be broken anytime. Just be prepared.

This is true of many software packages.  In our production environment we
often (usually) run older versions of software, including statistical
software, because of bugs or changed behaviors (or fears thereof) in new
versions.  We usually run the latest versions in our test and
non-production systems and only upgrade our production systems when two
conditions are satisfied: (1) we need the features in the upgrade and (2)
we are comfortable that the upgraded package will run reliably.  From what
I can see, R is only distinguished from other software packages in these
regards by the extreme speed with which bug fixes for the latest version
are made available (in contrast, we're still waiting more than a year for
fixes for bugs in some commercial software that were described as
"critical" bugs by the vendor's support team) and the high level of respect
accorded to users by the core developers (changes are debated and effects
on existing software seem to be taken seriously).

One very helpful tool to deal with software updates is automated
testing.  I highly recommend it.  R comes with a testing framework.

-- Tony Plate