[R] GAM question

Simon Wood simon at stats.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jun 4 10:47:45 CEST 2004

> Warning in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : non-integer #successes in a
> binomial glm!

- one way of specifying a logistic regression model is to supply the
observed proportion of sucesses as the response variable (e.g. y) and the
binomial n as the weights. The warning is complaining that y/n is
non-integer. Depending on exactly why you are weighting, you might want to
use the quasibinomial family in place of binomial,

> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 60865 Kb

The gam fit may get a bit memory intensive given the number of data you
have. ?gam gives various approaches for dealing with large datasets, but
you might want to change the smoothing basis to one that is
computationally cheaper  than the default.

eg. replace s(x) terms by s(x,bs="cr").

Simon