[R] How to Describe R to Finance People

Pikounis, Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Fri Jun 4 14:59:32 CEST 2004

Hi Kevin,
I think your \begin{quote}...\end{quote} block covers it nicely.  Some
generic remarks to consider:

* If the presenter is using slides, distill the description into 1 slide
(for the 1-2 minutes).

* Of course Edward Tufte would not approve, but I think three main bullet
points are useful, with some sub-items that could be explicit or described
verbally:

	* R is free (as in beer, wine, etc.)

	* There is a strong, growing R community
		* Useful documentation, and
		* Help is always a sincere, intelligent email posting away

      * (Choose an authentic example, such as what you described with the
SPSS dummy coding)

By "authentic", I mean something you feel much of the audience will relate
to.  That could be specific to data analysis and/or interpretation in
Finance, or just a more convenient/efficient way to do tedious tasks, like
good computer software should do.  The "plot" example I just now see cited
by Barry Rowlingson is a good one, I think.

The first two items derive from the principle of open source software, and
it could be pointed out that the Earth now has several examples of where the
open-source model has been indisputably successful, based on the facts.  And
such examples are not just for "geeks" anymore; note for example OpenOffice
and KDE.

Hope that helps and good luck,
Bill

Bill Pikounis, Ph.D.