[R] How to Describe R to Finance People

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Jun 5 15:01:15 CEST 2004

One other important point in "selling" R is that its use results in
analysts doing a better job.  I find that many SAS users for example
routinely assume that all covariable effects are linear because it is
messy to do otherwise in SAS.  S has a natural modeling language for
flexible nonlinear effects (primarily because predictors can be
automatically-generated matrices containing basis functions) in addition
to computing dummy variables "secretly" and computing product terms for
interactions on the fly.

I prefer open source software for many reasons, but a major reason that
R is superior for statistical analysis and graphics today is its
functionality and extendibility.  This leads to better analyses.

Frank Harrell