[R] MCLUST Covariance Parameterization.

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Jun 7 09:29:08 CEST 2004

I'm not going to directly answer your question but it seems to me that
you want to fit a completely unconstrained Gaussian mixture model. This
may not be the best thing to do as without constraints on the Sigma_k
the model may have more parameters than it is reasonable to try to
estimate with the available data.

A preliminary fit of a mixture model, even if it does not have quite the
  covariance structure that you want gives a clustering of the data that
you can use to explore the correlation structure of the components
empirically: then you can revise the covariance structure and re-fit.

I think that this sort of approach is likely to be more effective than
fitting the fully unstructured model directly.

Murray Jorgensen