[R] error during make of R-patched on Fedora core 2

Mon Jun 7 22:34:46 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:08, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've just upgraded to Fedora Core 2 and seeing as there wasn't an rpm
> for this OS on CRAN yet I thought it was about time I had a go at
> compiling R myself. Having run into the X11 problem I switched to trying
> to install R-patched. I followed the instructions in the R Installation
> & Admin manual to download the sources of the Recommended packages and
> place the files in R_HOME/src/library/Recommended. ./configure worked
> fine so I progressed to make, which has hit upon this error when the
> process arrived at the Recommended packages:
>
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library'
> building/updating vignettes for package 'grid' ...
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library'
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library'
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library/Recommended'
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library/Recommended'
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library/Recommended'
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library/Recommended'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `survival.ts', needed by
> `stamp-recommended'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library/Recommended'
> make[1]: *** [recommended-packages] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gavin/tmp/R-patched/src/library/Recommended'
> make: *** [stamp-recommended] Error 2
>
> Being a relative newbie to Linux I have no-idea how to continue to solve
> this issue :-(
>
> The only difference I can see between the /src/library/Recommended
> directories of R-1.9.0 and R-patched is that in R-1.9.0 it contains
> links to each of the tar.gz (excluding the version info) as well as the
> tar.gz themselves for each of the packages. Is this in some way related
> to my problem?
>
> If anyone can help me solve this issue I'd be most grateful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gavin

You might want to try the following commands using rsync as an
alternative to downloading the tarball:

rsync -rCv rsync.r-project.org::r-patched R-patched
./R-patched/tools/rsync-recommended
cd R-patched
./configure
make

I actually have the above in a script file that I can just run quickly,
when I want to update the code.

I am now running FC2, so if you have any problems, drop me a line.

Best regards,

Marc Schwartz