[R] overlaying text() onto image() or filled.contour()

Laura Quinn laura at env.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jun 8 19:56:34 CEST 2004

I am trying to add some markers onto a contour map image I have created,
by using the text() function when I have already produced the map using
either image() or filled.contour(). For some reason the points appear to
be shifted considerably to the right of where they should be appearing,
despite me using exactly the same co-ordinate systems for both. This
offset is also dependent on the aspect ratio I use.

The map I am looking at is around 3.5x larger in height than width and I
need to maximise this in an X window. If I simply use asp=1 the map is
pretty unreadable, is there a way I can drastically reduce the margin
sizes perhaps? The par() commands I at ve tried haven;t made an appreciable
difference - and i'M still very puzzled as to why my data markers are
appearing in the wrong place...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Laura