[R] off topic publication question

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Wed Jun 9 00:54:29 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 05:11, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> If a single author is writing a journal article,
> should she use "We performed a test"
> or "I performed a test",
> please?

Does the particular journal specify a style manual or style sheet?  The
Chicago Manual of Style \cite{Chicago2003}, p160, says "'We' is
sometimes used by an individual who is speaking for a group... called
the editorial 'we'.  Some writers also use 'we' to make their prose
appear less personal and to draw in the reader or listener."

Although journals may vary in their requirements, you are presumably
speaking for a group (the University of Houston Downtown), and "we" is
probably safer than "I".  Probably.

It's important to note that the Chicago Manual does *not* claim to be
authoritative, merely helpful.

Cheers

Jason

@Book{Chicago2003,
  editor =	 {University of Chicago Press Staff},
  title = 	 {The Chicago Manual of Style},
  publisher = 	 {University of Chicago Press},
  year = 	 2003,
  address =	 {Chicago},
  edition =	 {Fifteenth}
}