[R] nominal data

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 9 12:33:10 CEST 2004

On 06/09/04 10:15, Bianca wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am a new user of R. I have 2 series of nominal data (2 series of answers
>for the same question) and I want to calculate the correlation between these
>2 series. I've tried to use the correlation function (corr, ...) but all are
>for numeric data... Does anyone know what function should I use for the
>nominal data?

In part this is a statistics question, and the answer depends
heavily on why you want to know.

But one way to do it is to use Cohen's kappa.  This is in the psy
contributed packages, and described in our "Notes on R for
psychology ..." (linked from my R search page - look under
"inter-rater agreement").

Jon
Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R search page:        http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/