[R] X-12-ARIMA

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Wed Jun 9 16:41:58 CEST 2004

(subject changed from "[R] a doubt" )

The fortran source code for X-12-ARIMA seems to be available at
<http://www.census.gov/srd/www/x12a/x12down_unix.html>. Incorporating
this into a standard R package would be a much better approach than
trying to hack an OS specific version with system calls to a .exe file.
I expect there will be a fair amount of work in either case, and I don't
have time to look at it now. If anyone wants to do the real work then I
would be interested in using it (but using calls to a .exe would not be
very useful to me). The first thing to check would be the license, as I
have not looked at it. The next is probably the question of whether the
fortran is nicely organized in subroutines without IO, so R can call
those and avoid fortran IO problems.

(Perhaps there are R users at the U.S. Census Bureau that would be
willing to help?)

Paul Gilbert