[R] multiple error strata in aov

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 09:02:31 CEST 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Murray Logan wrote:

> I am trying to perform a model 3 ANOVA for a 2 factor (say factor A and
> factor B) anova in which factor A is fixed and factor B is random.
>  Therefore, the error term for the test of factor A should be the A:B
> interaction term and the error terms for B and A:B should be the model
> residual (within) term.  I have tried to work out how to specify such
> error strata using aov, however, I have had little success.  Is there a
> way to specify just the interaction (A:B) as an error term using Error()
> within aov or provide a list of error strata.
> Ideally as Error=list(A="A:B",B="Within", A:B="Within")

Error is documented in ?aov, which has a reference.  Have you read it?
It does contain the answer to your question.  I will not try to explain it
here, and your attempt at specification suggests you do not understand the
meaning of `strata' here.  The strata are function of the way the
experiment was designed, not the AOV tables you want which should be a
consequence of the design.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk