[R] 64-bit R on OS X/G5?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 13:15:56 CEST 2004

R works on 64-bit platforms and has for quite a while, currently I know of
people using machines with 16Gb RAM on 64-bit platforms (Alpha, Sparc,
AMD64).

Do you have a full 64-bit compiler and runtime for MacOS X?  If so `all'
you need to do is to run compile under it.  One quote I picked up was

	macos X has 64 bit support with gcc 3.3 and a g5

which if correct suggests this is possible.

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Anders Sjögren wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone know if there is a working 64-bit version of R for MacOs X
> on G5? If so, is there a memory limit anyway or could I theroetically
> use almost 8 GB in one session?

There is of course a memory limit but it far exceeds 8GB.  There is a
limit on the length of vectors still (2^31 - 1) and a few other similar
limits.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk