[R] subset and lme

Paul Lemmens P.Lemmens at nici.kun.nl
Wed Jun 16 16:48:03 CEST 2004

Hoi Todd,

--On woensdag 16 juni 2004 10:18 -0400 Todd Ogden <to166 at columbia.edu>
wrote:

> I'm puzzled by the following problem, which appears when
> attempting to run an analysis on part of a dataset:
>
> If I try:
>
>   csubset <- dat$Diagnosis==0

This just creates a vector of booleans that indicate (the row numbers) for
which positions in dat Diagnosis==0.

>   cdat <- dat[dat$Diagnosis==0,]

This OTOH, uses the above vector to index the rows of dat, indeed selecting
those rows from dat that have Diagnosis==0. This is assigned to cdat. You
could have done

cdat <- dat[csubset,]

as well

HTH

--
Paul Lemmens
NICI, University of Nijmegen              ASCII Ribbon Campaign /"\