[R] Aggregating on Water Year Rather Than Calendar Year

Clint Bowman clint at ecy.wa.gov
Wed Jun 16 20:21:56 CEST 2004

The US water year extends from 01 October yyyy-1 through 30 September yyyy
and is referenced by the year starting on the included 01 January yyyy.
I'd like to be able to find the annual means for the water year.  To do so
I've taken the input date-time, which is in the usual format

"1991-10-07 10:35:00"

changed it by:

w$d<-as.POSIXct(w$date.time)

Now I can add an offset of 92 days

w$w.year<-as.POSIXct(w$d+7948800)

and have the years correspond to the "water year."

Now I wish to obtain some means by something like:

waterT<-aggregate(w$value[w$param.name=="Temperature"],
list(w$w.year[w$param.name=="Temperature"]),mean)

Except that I need to work on the year and being a neophyte in date
arithmetic I'm not finding a working method.

TIA

Clint

Clint Bowman			INTERNET:	clint at ecy.wa.gov
Air Quality Modeler		INTERNET:	clint at math.utah.edu
Department of Ecology		VOICE:		(360) 407-6815
PO Box 47600			FAX:		(360) 407-7534
Olympia, WA 98504-7600