[R] Compiling R with Intel compilers - recommended options?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 09:47:08 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm a sysadmin who's been tasked with installing R on our 1000-node
compute cluster.
I have licences for the Intel C and FORTRAN compilers, so I'm using the
following to compile:

CFLAGS="-O2 -axWK"
FFLAGS=$CFLAGS
CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

CC=icc
F77=ifort
CXX=icc

FPICFLAGS=-fpic

./configure --without-x --without-tcltk

The compilation seems to go OK, with a few warnings.  What concerns me
is when I run the make check - how long should this take?  I've had one
running for over 12 hours now, and it's still on:

running code in 'base-Ex.R' ...

and hasn't produced any output since; it just sits there burning CPU.
I guess my question is:  I'm sure someone has successfully compiled R
on X86 Linux using the Intel compilers before - what options did you
use to make it work?  And how long should this check phase take?

Many thanks...

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts