[R] Another NEWBIE

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 19 05:52:47 CEST 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, F.Kalder wrote:

> I'm a very fresh newbie to R.

First piece of advice: read the posting guide before posting, and in
particular use a meaningful subject line.

> My first main question is, what the limitations of R are, what methods can R
> NOT do, esp. compared to (a) SPSS and (b) SAS?

R is a full-featured programming language, with no such limitations.

> The second question is, how do you handle the data entry, data management
> and data manipulation in R, to me it seems to be really complicated and
> confusing?! Are there a kind of "helping tools"?

There is documentation.  For example, chapter 2 of MASS (see the FAQ or
the posting guide) is devoted to this, and R ships with a `Data
Import/Manual'.  We don't know your background or skill level, but the FAQ
points you to lots of documentation.

> The third question: are there differences in linux and windows versions of
> R? At the monemt I'm running R on a WinXP System. Is this ok or would a
> Linux solutuon be the better way (for using R)?

That's in the README of the Windows version.  BTW, perhaps you should ask
in a suitable forum what the limitations of Windows are relative to Linux
since like any application R is limited by the OS it runs on.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk