[R] [Q] Newbie (continued.. at least I got R running allready :-)

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Jun 21 14:27:20 CEST 2004

Hi

On 18 Jun 2004 at 8:34, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Check out ?turnpoints in the pastecs library.
>
> Try
>
>    example(turnpoints)
>    str(Nauplii.tp)
>
> to see the data structure you get back.  It identifies the peaks
> and pits and other associated information.

I am not sure if this is exactly what Jeroen really wants. As I went
through the picture (BTW it could be better if it had been slightly
smaller:), it seems to me that the "peaks" are very flat. If you look
at them they are like that

                     *****************************
        *******                                                        **
  ***                                                                          *
 *							       *
*                                                                                   *
  ^    ^            ^
  1    2            3

and he/she wants to know where it starts and where it ends. What I
am not sure from the picture above is, if the peak starts at point 1,
2 or 3. Function rle can be of some help in that particular case, but
it depends what they want really to extract

based on data provided

vyber <- rle(co2)$values>20 & rle(co2)$lengths>5
# gives values co2 which are bigger than 20 and which are
simultaneously repeated more than five times

 rle(co2)$values[vyber]
 [1] 35 36 37 32 35 35 34 32 35 36 35 35 36 37 35 37 37 35 36 37
35 35 37 30 29 36 37 37 32 25 36 38 39
# here are the values

> rle(co2)$lengths[vyber]
 [1]  6 14 29 16 50 18 16 20  7 29 31  6 10 18  7 28 52  6 10 22 34
6 10 13 11 10 10 23 10  7  8  6 47
# and here is their lengths

But it can be found that e.g. first three values are from the first
peak.

So I suppose they need to look more closely on what they really
want to know and than try to code it in R.

Cheers
Petr