[R] Visual stimulus presentation using R?

Ken Knoblauch knoblauch at lyon.inserm.fr
Tue Jun 22 08:28:59 CEST 2004

Speaking of open source alternatives to Matlab, Ben Singer, as I
recall, had been working on using the Psycho-Toolbox from octave.
I don't know how far he got with that or what he is up to now but
his current web page (first hit on google for "Ben Singer") is:

http://www.princeton.edu/~bdsinger/

and I'm sure he'd be happy to let you know what he knows about it,
if you contacted him.

HTH

>     Have you considered open source alternatives to Matlab such as
>Scilab?  I know nothing about their capabilities, but Google produced
>2410 hits for "Matlab clones", the first of which
>(http://www.dspguru.com/sw/opendsp/mathclo2.htm) seemed quite useful.
>
>      hope this helps.  spencer graves
>
>Christoph Lange wrote:
>
>Dear all!
>
>Although the Psycho-Toolbox for Matlab is free software, Matlab isn't.
>I'm planning to do an experiment where it's essentail to travel to the
>subjects, not let the subjects come to where the Matlab licences are
>:-(
>
>So I need to use a free software for my experiment if I don't want to
>by an extra Matlab licence (which I don't want to).
>
>Did anyone ever try to do presentation of visual stimuli (images,
>practically, with a little bit of text in my case) with R? I looked
>into the documentation of rgl, but what's lacking there is (as far as
>I saw) the possibility to also read (unbuffered) keyboard input.
>
>So what I need is:
>
>  1. put images onto the (full!)screen (qick)
>  2. read keyboard input
>  3. write results (to an R structure, presumably)
>
>Any idea, suggestion?
>

>Cheers,
>  Christoph.

Ken Knoblauch