[R] Simulating from a Multivariate Normal Distribution Using a Correlation Matrix

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 25 10:13:00 CEST 2004

Short answer: to know a MVN distribution you need to know the mean vector
and the covariance matrix.  If you don't know a distribution you cannot
simulate from it.

So you need to know the marginal variances (the diagonal of the covariance
matrix).  If you have those, you can form the covariance matrix and use
rmvnorm or mvrnorm.  If you are willing to assume they are one, you have
the covariance (= correlation matrix).  If you don't know the marginal
variances the problem is incompletely specified.