[R] circle / oval / semicircle ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 25 19:45:05 CEST 2004

Circles *are* a graphics primitive in the sense that every R device driver
has to support them.  See PS_Circle and PDF_Circle in file
src/main/devPS.c Note that PDF does not have arcs/circle as a primitive,
unlike PS.

One gotcha is that you have to be able to draw circles clipped to a
viewport.

OTOH, adding a graphic primitive (and we seem to need image for e.g.
better drawing of the output of image and for icons etc) is a very serious
undertaking.

The R interfaces are symbols() and grid.circle.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk