[R] How to determine the number of dominant eigenvalues in PCA

Wolski wolski at molgen.mpg.de
Mon Jun 28 19:36:52 CEST 2004

Hi!

There is a chapter in the book from Härdl about the interpretation of PCs available online.
http://www.quantlet.com/mdstat/scripts/mva/htmlbook/mvahtmlframe93.html

About determining the number of dominant eigenvalues is a chapter in book of A. Handl  (available online but in german.)
http://www.quantlet.com/mdstat/scripts/mst/html/msthtmlframe56.html

Two references to this topic from this online book.
Cattell, R. B. (1966): The scree test for the number of factors. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 1, 245-276
Kaiser, H. F. (1960): The application of electronic computers to factor analysis. Educ. Psychol. Meas., 20, 141-151

Hope this helps.
Sincerely Eryk