[R] job opening in Merck Research Labs, NJ

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Jun 29 20:32:35 CEST 2004

Apology for the cross-post...  Andy

Job description:  Computational statistician/medical image analyst

The Biometrics Research Department at Merck Research Laboratories, Merck &
Co., Inc. in Rahway, NJ is seeking a highly motivated statistician/data
analyst to work in its basic research and drug discovery area.  The
applicant should have broad expertise in image processing, statistics, and
computer science, with substantial experience in medical imaging analysis
including design of experiments, image registration and segmentation,
statistical analysis, and pattern recognition.  The position will initially
involve providing statistical, mathematical, and software development
support for MRI and ultrasound imaging teams in preclinical research (i.e.,
animal studies, not human).  Merck has its own facilities for CT, PET, MRI,
and ultrasound imaging. We are looking for a Ph.D. with a background and/or
post-doctoral experience in at least one of the following fields:
Statistics, Electrical/Computer or Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science,
Applied Mathematics, or Physics.  Advanced computer programming skills
(including, but not limited to Matlab, C/C++, Visual Basic, SQL, IDL, or
PV-WAVE), and good communication skills are essential, as is familiarity
with  statistical software  like R and  Splus.  The position may also
involve general statistical consulting and training.  An ability to lead
statistical analysis efforts within a multidisciplinary team is required.
Strong candidates will also have interests and experience in computer
vision, machine learning/data mining, and/or signal processing.

Our dedication to delivering quality medicines in innovative ways and our
commitment to bringing out the best in our people are just some of the
reasons why we're ranked among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies to
Work for in America."  We offer a competitive salary, an oustanding benefits
package, and a professional work environment with a company known for
scientific excellence.  To apply, please forward your CV or resume and cover
letter to

ATTENTION: Open Position
Vladimir Svetnik, Ph.D.
Biometrics Research Dept.