[R] naive question

Marc R. Feldesman feldesmanm at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 30 01:54:22 CEST 2004

At 01:22 PM 6/29/2004, Igor Rivin wrote:

 >I did read the Import/Export document. It is true that replacing
 >the read.table by read.csv and setting the commentChar="" speeds
 >things up some (a factor of two?) -- this is very far from acceptable
 >performance,
 >being some two orders of magnitude worse than SAS (the IO of which is, in
 >turn, much worse
 >than that of the unix utilities (awk, sort, and so on))   . Setting
 >colClasses is suggested
 >(and has been suggested by some in response to my question), but for
 >a frame with some 60 columns, this is a major nuisance.

Feel free to contribute to the project.   Whining and complaining won't get
you anywhere.  SAS *is* faster at I/O.  So what?

Dr. Marc R. Feldesman
Professor and Chairman Emeritus
Anthropology Department - Portland State University
email:  feldesmanm at pdx.edu
email:  feldesman at attglobal.net
fax:    503-725-3905

"Don't knock on my door if you don't know my Rottweiler's name"  Warren Zevon
"Its midnight and I'm not famous yet"  Jimmy Buffett