[R] naive question

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Wed Jun 30 04:06:31 CEST 2004

We need more details about your problem to provide any useful
help.  Are all the variables numeric?  Are they all completely
different?  Is it possible to use `colClasses'?

Also, having "a couple of gigabytes of RAM" is not necessarily
useful if you're on a 32-bit OS since the total process size is
usually limited to be less than ~3GB.

Believe it or not, complaints like these are not that common.
1998 was a long time ago!

-roger

Igor Rivin wrote:

> I have a 100Mb comma-separated file, and R takes several minutes to read it
> (via read.table()). This is R 1.9.0 on a linux box with a couple gigabytes of
> RAM. I am conjecturing that R is gc-ing, so maybe there is some command-line
> arg I can give it to convince it that I have a lot of space, or?!
>
>     Thanks!
>
> 	Igor

Roger D. Peng
http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/