[R] dev.print and X11(canvas = "black")

jhallman@frb.gov jhallman at frb.gov
Mon Mar 1 23:29:29 CET 2004

In Splus, I often use graphics windows with a black background and white
foreground.  The S print.graph() function sends the current plot to my
printer but with a white background and black foreground.  I'd like to
be able to do something similar in R, but can't figure out how.  I've
tried various permutations of dev.copy() and dev.print(), but it seems
that the foreground color is fixed when the original plot is drawn, and
dev.copy always redraws it with that color.  So even though I can get my
postscript output with a white background, things that were drawn white on the
dark background of my X11 device are still drawn white when dev.copy'd
to a postscript device.  Since the postscript has a white background,
that means the white foreground stuff doesn't show up.

Is there a way to handle this?  Or do I just have to give up on ever
using a dark canvas in X11() if I ever want to print the result?

Please reply directly.

Jeff