[R] How to plot Histogram with frequence overlaid by distribution curve

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Tue Mar 2 02:45:20 CET 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:43:09 -0400 (AST), you wrote:
>What WeiQiang Li proposes to do makes
>no sense at all, and will simply confuse and mislead the viewer/reader.
>If a histogram is to be overlaid with a density curve that histogram
>should represent a density and hence should be plotted on the density
>scale --- NOT on the frequency scale.

They should be plotted on the same scale, but why require the density
scale?  I've never seen anyone plot a density with the units shown
(e.g. m^{-1} if the variable measures a distance); this makes me think
that nobody really reads density plots in a quantitative way.  They're
read like likelihoods: the scale doesn't matter, only relative heights
matter.

Duncan Murdoch