[R] Resolution of problem re location polr and of MASS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 4 16:50:09 CET 2004

    Peter> First, my apologies for not giving all the details in my first post.
    Peter> Second, the problem was somewhat more complicated than simply using
    Peter> help.search('polr') or library(MASS).  When I tried these, I got
    Peter> notices that polr could not be found anywhere, and that no package
    Peter> called MASS existed.  When I went to the  CRAN site, there was no
    Peter> package called MASS.  I am not sure how I installed R 1.8.1 on a Windows
    Peter> machine without installing MASS and without getting any errors, but I
    Peter> did.

In that case, I'd definitely recommend to wipe your R version
and reinstall R 1.8.1.   When MASS has been missing who knows
what else is wrong with your R installation....

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><