[R] Testing significance in a design with unequal but proportional sample sizes

Tom Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Thu Mar 4 21:06:37 CET 2004

Michael  -

Since your email says that the data are "the abundance of organism A",
I am moved to ask whether the abundances are integer counts, sometimes
zero, and whether the "samples" are perhaps dips of a net, or the
contents of a filter after pumping a certain amount of water through it,
or something akin to 'quadrats' in forest sampling.

If the abundances are integer counts, then it would be natural to
analyze the data with a log-linear model using R's  glm()  rather
than with anova.  Snedecor and Cochran is an excellent book, but for
this purpose Venables and Ripley's MASS (Modern Applied Statistics
with S and S-plus) might be better.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -