[R] Probit predictions outside (0,1) interval

Anon. bob.ohara at helsinki.fi
Fri Mar 5 09:42:05 CET 2004

Arnab mukherji wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was trying to implement a probit model on a dichotomous outcome variable and found that the predictions were outside the (0,1) interval that one should get. I later tried it with some simulated data with a similar result.
>
> Here is a toy program I wrote and I cant figure why I should be getting such odd predictions.

Let me be the first to write "read the help file".

There are several scales th at you can predict on in a GLM.  The
relevant part of the help file is this:

  type: the type of prediction required.  The default is on the scale
           of the linear predictors; the alternative `"response"' is on
           the scale of the response variable.  Thus for a default
           binomial model the default predictions are of log-odds
           (probabilities on logit scale) and `type = "response"' gives
           the predicted probabilities.

Your predictions are on the probit scale.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara

Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics