[R] Testing significance in a design with unequal but proportional sample sizes

Christophe Pallier pallier at lscp.ehess.fr
Fri Mar 5 18:30:29 CET 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, pallier wrote:

>>Actually, the different types of main effects defined above just
>>correspond to different
>>contrasts on the cell means. So if there is an easy solution to compute
>>arbitrary contrasts
>>on the cell means in a factorial design, this could an approach to this
>>question. (Anyone?)
>>

>There are at least three such ways.  ?contrasts (for the assignment
>function contrasts<-)  and ?C, as well as the contrasts= argument to aov
>(the function you were discussing ...).

Thanks.
I know the existence of 'contrasts' and I read the  section about
contrasts matrix in your book (MASS 3rd edition), as well as
in the R online documentation, but I probably do not understand them
well: It still escapes me how to proceed to compute
"arbitrary" contrasts, such as, say:

a1b1 a1b2  a2b1 a2b2
   1       1      -1      -1

a1b1 a1b2  a2b1 a2b2
  .5      .5       -1       0

in a model "x~ a * b"  where a and b are two binary factors.

(the contrasts should be on the cell means, ignoring the sample size of
subgroups. I know how to compute the size of the contrasts from the
table of means returned by tapply, but I whould also need the associated
MSE).

Sorry if the solution is obvious.

Christophe Pallier