[R] problem with install.packages and update.packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 6 11:04:52 CET 2004

Well, perhaps the site (which is not www.r-project.org) was unavailable or
inaccessible when you tried.  Internet caches can make sites appear
available when they are not, and the download processes do try to avoid
cached copies.

You seem to have --internet2 as your command-line flag (from the error
message), so you do need to check you can access the exact URL *from
Internet Explorer*.  (BTW, that is a crucial piece of information that you
did not supply.)  If you use Mozilla, why do you have --internet2?

Note too that if R has not been changed, this is not a problem with R but
with your own computer, and we are not going to be able to debug something
you changed on your own machine, are we?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk