[R] "Statistiques avec R"

pallier pallier at lscp.ehess.fr
Sun Mar 7 13:21:56 CET 2004

Shigeru Mase wrote:

> Probably you may be curious about the mysterious author
> of "Statistiques avec R" as well as me.  He seems a mathematician.
> I found one more extraordinary work of him.
>
> http://tex.loria.fr/prod-graph/zoonekynd/metapost/metapost.html
>
> He made Metapost (a kind of Metafont software which produces
> ps outputs) a statistical graphics software. Look and have a fun!

Vincent Zoonekynd is *not* the creator of Metapost. John D. Hobby is
(cf. http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/hobby/index.html).

Vincent Zoonekynd indeed has a ph.D. in maths from the university of
Paris 7 (Jussieu). On his homepage (http://zoonek.free.fr/), he says he
is looking for a job in computer science or bioinformatics (last update:
october 2003). The job market is very gloomy for young scientists in
France. I do not know if he's looking for a job in a foreign country,
but his CV indicates that he speaks English, and has a medium level in
Japanese.

He wrote the "Statistiques avec R" notes while learning R. I like these
pages very much too, but they are notes taken by a mathematician
learning statistics. In some parts, he has not yet fully grasped all the
concepts (but he indicates this, and he's stressing that this is a work
in progress). This remark does not detract from the quality and the
usefulness of his work.

Christophe Pallier
http://www.pallier.org