[R] Map of British Colonial America 1775

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Mar 10 12:49:53 CET 2004

      Does anyone have suggestions about how to produce a map of British
Colonial America 1775?  At that time, Great Britain had 26 colonies in
the Americas, including Bermuda, several Caribbean islands, "Quebec"
(extending then almost to New Orleans), Nova Scotia, Newfoundland,
Belize, and the 13 that declared independence in 1776.

      I've reviewed the "map" documentation I've found so far with
S-Plus 6.2 and R including "www.r-project.org" -> search -> "R site
search" -> "world map" and Becker & Wilkes (1993) "Maps in S" cited in
the "map" documentation.  I've noticed that, for example,
'library(maps);  map("world", "UK:Bermuda")' produces an 83-point
polygon sketch in S-Plus 6.2 but only a degenerate 3-point polygon (with
the third point = the first) in R 1.8.1.

      Thanks, Spencer Graves