[R] converting lists got by tapply to dataframes

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Mar 10 17:43:01 CET 2004

That gives you a vector, not a data frame.

The problem is that the object returned by tapply is a 1-d array of list.
When as.data.frame() is called, the default method doesn't know how to
handle arrays and gives the error.  What you really want for this particular
case is to treat the object as a list, so the unorthodox way is:

  as.data.frame.list(xb)

OK, I didn't really say that...

Andy