[R] Difficulties in interaction between R and latex (prosper)

Ajay Shah ajayshah at mayin.org
Thu Mar 11 02:44:21 CET 2004

Hello, folks! I'm trying to use R as a graphics program, to make some
pretty graphs that will go into prosper slideshows.

I wrote this fragment, from the R manual, into a file demo.R:

   x=seq(-3,3,0.1)
   postscript("cm_test.eps", width = 4.0, height = 3.0,
               horizontal = FALSE, onefile = FALSE, paper = "special",
               family = "ComputerModern")
   plot(x, sin(x), type="l")

I fed this into a simplest-possible tex file, named sl_demo.tex, which
uses prosper:

   \documentclass[pdf,serpaggi,slideColor,colorBG]{prosper}
   \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
   \usepackage{graphicx}
   \begin{document}
     \begin{slide}{Demo}
       \includegraphics[width=\linewidth]{cm_test.eps}
     \end{slide}
     \begin{slide}{This one works}
       \includegraphics[width=\linewidth]{thisworks.eps}
     \end{slide}
   \end{document}

The file cm_test.eps is produced using R. I left a file
"thisworks.eps" there as a counterpoint (it was made using jgraph and
it works fine).

The resulting sl_demo.pdf is attached. It's supposed to be a
slideshow. Under Adobe acrobat, when I say Ctrl-L it must go
fullscreen. That works correctly for thisworks.eps but not for the
eps file that's made using R.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? How do I get the graph made using R
to sit horizantally (i.e. landscape), and fill the screen? I tried to
say "horizontal=T" and that doesn't work.

--
Ajay Shah                                                   Consultant
ajayshah at mayin.org                      Department of Economic Affairs