[R] About reading data into R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 11 08:00:04 CET 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Rui Song wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, I chose to use scan here. So can I ask another
> question, which function works faster, scan or read.table?

read.table calls scan, and the two functions do different jobs.

read.table reads in a data frame.
scan reads a vector or list

Since neither can do exactly what the other does, neither can be faster.

For further discussion, including on speed, please read ?read.table and
the `R Data Import/Export' manual.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk