[R] R CMD check errors

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 11 18:26:50 CET 2004

    Thomas> Hello,

    Thomas> I'm getting some error messages from R CMD check I can't deal with.
    Thomas> I'm working under Linux with R 1.8.1
    Thomas> The package working directory can be found at:

    Thomas> http://www.uni-bayreuth.de/departments/math/org/mathe7/DISTR/distr.tar.gz

    Thomas> Here's the 00check.log produced by R CMD check distr

I got it and I can confirm to get warnings / errors along these
lines, also with today's  "R-1.9.0 alpha"

    Thomas> * using log directory '/home/tom/studium/R/swp/swp/package/distr.Rcheck'
    Thomas> * checking for file 'distr/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
    Thomas> * checking if this is a source package ... OK
    Thomas> * checking package directory ... OK
    Thomas> * checking for portable file names ... OK
    Thomas> * checking for sufficient/correct file permissions ... OK
    Thomas> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
    Thomas> * checking index information ... OK
    Thomas> * checking package subdirectories ... WARNING
    Thomas> Subdirectory 'data' contains no data sets.
    Thomas> Subdirectory 'src' contains no source files.

(so just delete these two directories for now; but that doesn't
 help for the real problem below !)

    Thomas> * checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
    Thomas> * checking R files for library.dynam ... OK
    Thomas> * checking S3 generic/method consistency ... WARNING
    Thomas> Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :
    Thomas> package/namespace load failed
    Thomas> Execution halted
    Thomas> * checking for replacement functions with final arg not named 'value' ... WARNING
    Thomas> Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :
    Thomas> package/namespace load failed
    Thomas> Execution halted
    Thomas> * checking Rd files ... OK
    Thomas> * checking for missing documentation entries ... ERROR
    Thomas> Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :

Yes, unfortunately, you don't get better errors here.

     [[ -> feature request ;-) ]]

But since "R CMD check" *does* install the package , you just
load/attach it manually
(using 'lib.loc = "..." !) and can see what the matter is :

  > library(distr, lib.loc="/u/maechler/R/other-people/distr.Rcheck")
  Error in loadNamespace(i[[1]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), keep.source) :
	  package 'stepfun' does not have a name space
  Error in library(distr, lib.loc = "/u/maechler/R/other-people/distr.Rcheck") :
	  package/namespace load failed

Now this does help you further.
Particularly for the above case, I'd recommend to

** Get and install "R-1.9.0 alpha" and exclusively work with R-1.9.x
** for the "distr" package.

Reason: From 1.9.0 on, "stepfun" is part of "stats"
	- which *is* a namespace
	- and a "default package", i.e. you don't even have to
	  say "library(stats)" by default.

With high regards to the "distr" developers,
Martin