[R] Xeon CPU and ATLAS

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri Mar 12 23:42:37 CET 2004

Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> writes:

> apjaworski at mmm.com writes:
>
>> I am about to get a new machine at work - an IBM Intellistation with the
>> Xeon 2.8 GB processor.  It will run Windows 2000.  I would like to install
>> the proper ATLAS dll for this machine, but I am not sure if Xeon is P4?
>> Does anybody have any experience with Xeon?
>
> Yes, we have a dual 2.8 Xeon running Linux. Very nice machine. We've
> had it for a bit more than a year and it's been of very good use. I
> can see that I did two ATLAS builds in feb 2003, one is called
> Linux_P4SSE2_2 and the other is Linux_Xeon_2. AFAIR (but it's been a
> while), the former is the preconfigured thing that came out of a
> quick-install and the other one is fully tuned version, and there was
> no difference worth speaking of between the two.
>
> I think the difference between P4 and Xeon is the SSE1 vs SSE2 thing,
> so you'd want the P4SSE2 DLL, but others may be able to speak more
> authoritatively.

SSE1 vs SSE2  is PIII vs PIV (so depends if your xeons are p3 or p4 (?
not sure if there is such a thing) based.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}