[R] make check on Solaris 8 fails due to plot

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Mon Mar 15 18:10:30 CET 2004

Dear all,

I am having trouble trying to install R-1.8.1 on a Sun Solaris 8
(Generic_108528-23 version) machine. The configuration was successful but
make check fails. I traced the the problem to the plot() function.

> 1 + 1
[1] 2
> capabilities()
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11    GNOME     libz http/ftp  sockets
    TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  libxml     fifo   cledit  IEEE754    bzip2     PCRE
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
> plot( 1:10 )
Bus Error

and R terminates to the shell prompt. I have searched the archives with no
success. Can anyone kindly help me fix the problem or at least show me how
to get more information about the error.

Thank you.

Adaikalavan Ramasamy                    ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Medical Statistician
Centre for Statistics in Medicine       http://www.ihs.ox.ac.uk/csm/
Medical Statistics Group                Tel : 01865 226 677
Cancer Research UK                      Fax : 01865 226 962