[R] glm questions --- saturated model

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Mar 16 18:42:38 CET 2004

"BXC (Bendix Carstensen)" <bxc at steno.dk> writes:

> > It's important to remember that lnL is defined only up to an additive
> > constant.  For example a Poisson model has lnL contributions -mu +
> > y*log(mu) + constant, and the constant is arbitrary.  The
> > differencing
> > in the deviance calculation eliminates it.  What constant would you
> > like to use??
> >

> I have always been und the impression that the constant chosen by glm is
> that which makes the deviance of the saturated model 0, the saturated
> model being the one with one parameter per observation in the dataset.

As David pointed out, the deviance of a saturated model is zero by
definition. However, there's nothing arbitrary about the constant in a
likelihood either since it is supposed to be a density if seen as a
function of y (well, if you *really* want to quibble, it's a density
with respect to an arbitrary measure, so you could get an arbitrary
constant in if you insist, I suppose). The point is that the constant
is *uniformative* since it depends on y only, not mu, and hence that
people tend to throw some bits of the likelihood away, and not always
the same bits.