[R] glm questions

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 19:40:23 CET 2004

On Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004, at 15:15 Europe/London, Rolf Turner wrote:

> David Firth wrote (in response to a question from Paul Johnson):
>
>> On the more general point: yes, if all that students need to know is
>> OLS, Poisson rate models and logistic regression, then GLM is
>> overkill.
>
> 	I couldn't agree less.  The glm (not GLM!) framework gives a

Well, I really did _intend_ GLM when I wrote GLM, meaning the sort of
theoretical thing that Paul described, involving the presentation to
(political-science etc) students of the general (linear) exponential
family.  All that stuff is not needed for a proper understanding of the
three models mentioned, and certainly those three models are all
meaningful without it.  Your second paragraph below is one that I
wholeheartedly agree with though (except that it should be linear
function of the parameters, not the predictors), and it seems to agree
also with what I wrote in the second part of the paragraph which you
quote above (the part that you cut) from my earlier reply.

David