[R] glm questions --- saturated model

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 22:37:20 CET 2004

On Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004, at 20:28 Europe/London, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I'm confused going back and forth between the textbooks and these
> emails.  Please pardon me that I seem so pedantic.
>
> I am pretty certain that -2lnL(saturated) is not 0 by definition.

I'm pretty certain of that too.

> In the binomial model with groups of size=1, then the observed scores
> will be {0,1} but the predicted mean will be some number in [0,1], and
> so -2lnL will not be 0.  I'm reading, for example, Annette Dobson, An
> Introduction to Generalized Linear Models, 2ed (2002  p. 77), where it
> gives the formula one can use for -2lnL(saturated) in the binomial
> model.
>
> For the Normal distribution, Dobson says
>
> -2lnL(saturated) = N log(2 pi sigma^2)
>
> She gives the saturated model -2lnL(saturated) for lots of
> distributions, actually.
>
> I thought the point in the first note from Prof. Firth was that the
> deviance is defined up to an additive constant because you can add or
> subtract from lnL in the deviance formula
>
> D = -2[lnL(full) - lnL(subset)]
>
> and the deviance is unaffected.  But I don't think that means there is
> a completely free quantity in lnL(saturated).

No, that's not what I said earlier.  Nor what I meant.

lnL(any model, including saturated) is defined only up to an additive
constant.  Dobson's formulae are presumably correct, and would remain
so if we added a constant.

For discrete distributions we can probably all agree to define
likelihood as the probability of getting the observed data (ie to use
counting measure on 0,1,2,... or whatever to define our "density") ---
in which case the arbitrariness is resolved.  For continuous
distributions we can't do that: the probability is zero for every set
of data.  So we use density with respect to some measure, the choice of
which measure leads to an arbitrary constant (as Peter said).  But the
value of the constant doesn't matter -- and that really is the point.

I hope that's somehow clearer.

Best wishes,
David