[R] R and package don't know they're built on same system

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Mar 18 10:46:32 CET 2004

Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu> writes:

> I just had the interesting experience of building a package and R on
> the same system, and having R refuse to load the resultant dynamic
> library because it was thought to be for a different system.
>
> The system was non-standard and beta, being a Linux-based 64 bit
> Opteron system.  It uses the gnu tool chain.  The dynamic library was
> built from C source.
>
> When I tried to load the library R (1.8.1) complained
> "package Rpmi was built for i686-pc-linux-gnu"
> Inspection of R.version$platform, which is the thing the i686.... is
> being compared to, shows that it is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.
>
> I worked around this by removing the test causing the error (in
> library.R), but, considering I built both R and Rmpi (an unofficial
> version 0.4.6 from the author) within minutes of each other, it was
> very surprising to find they had different notions of their system.
>
> Any idea what's behind this, or how to fix it?

Hmm... It's probably not grabbing the i686-pc-linux-gnu out of
nowhere, so consider whether it might be picking up another package of
the same name somewhere along your library path, or see if the string
appears in the package you built. In the latter case, you need to
investigate the build process in detail.