[R] R and package don't know they're built on same system

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Mar 18 12:37:22 CET 2004

One thing to make sure is that all compilers used match; i.e., all 32-bit or
all 64-bit.  On our SLES8 pre-installed on Opteron, g++ was left out of the
64-bit toolchain.  R itself compiled fine (as 64-bit), but some packages
failed to install.  It was strange because the packages were built, but
failed to load.  I was only able to track it down because I happen to know
that the packages that failed contain C++ code, so they were compiled with
the 32-bit g++, and thus cannot be loaded into 64-bit R.

HTH,
Andy